Voluntary Testing for Employees
Eligible, asymptomatic employees who would like to be voluntarily tested will have the option to do so. This option is only for asymptomatic employees. If an employee has symptoms or is identified as a close contact, please follow instructions for symptomatic or close contact testing.
University employees who are working on Grounds will be eligible for voluntary asymptomatic testing through UVA’s saliva testing program beginning Monday, January 11, 2021.
- Eligibility: All employees working on Grounds in the following groups are eligible for voluntary saliva testing:
- Benefits eligible (Full-Time and Part-Time) academic faculty and staff, including School of Medicine and School of Nursing
- Academic Division temporary workers and non-benefits eligible (Full-Time and Part-Time) wage employees
- Employees of the Medical Center, University Physician’s Group, Community Medicine
- Post-doctoral fellows
- ROTC personnel
- About saliva testing: This program is only for employees who are asymptomatic. If an employee has symptoms or has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, they should follow instructions for testing here. Saliva screening takes less than 10 minutes. Employees must present a valid UVA ID card. Employees who have lost or misplaced their UVA Academic ID can schedule an appointment to obtain a replacement by submitting the ID Replacement Request Form online. Questions on the Academic ID process can be directed to email@example.com or 434-924-4508. For questions related to a replacement UVA Health ID, call 434-982-4009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not show up for saliva testing if you are currently in isolation or quarantine or if you have tested positive in the last 150 days.
- Testing for Those Who Previously Tested Positive: Students and employees who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 must continue to follow University guidance on mask-wearing, physical distancing and gatherings of no more than 6. If you have previously tested positive, you should not test for 150 days after your positive test date unless you experience symptoms or you have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Previously, the University only exempted those with positive results from testing for 90 days. This change reflects CDC guidance that those who have recovered from COVID-19 may continue to test positive for several months even if they are not contagious to others. This could result in unnecessary isolation and contact tracing from prior (now non-contagious) infections. Based on UVA epidemiologists’ assessment of recent research, the risk of reinfection increases after 150 days. Anyone who exhibits symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should contact Student Health and Wellness, Employee Health, or their health care provider immediately for guidance, regardless of how many days have passed since an initial positive test.
- Locations: For current information about testing locations and hours, and information about what to expect and how to prepare for your test, please visit https://besafe.virginia.edu.
- Scheduling: Employees may schedule an appointment through Time2Test (behind Netbadge). Please see additional guidance for symptomatic testing and close contact testing.
- Results: Outcomes will be available within 72 hours. You will receive an email from Be Safe with a link to follow for negative and inconclusive results. Employees with positive results will be contacted by phone by Employee Health. You will receive a second email from UVA Health MyChart when your medical record has been updated.
- Questions: For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Detailed Instructions for LetsGetChecked
University contractors, visiting professors and scholars, and employees working outside the Central Virginia region (e.g., Northern Virginia) remain eligible for voluntary asymptomatic testing using Let’s Get Checked kits that can be ordered by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Kits are only for the employee and are not transferrable to others.