Report and Disclosure
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting
Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students -
University of Virginia
Report and Disclosure
Updated January 8, 2021
The University of Virginia (UVA) acknowledges it signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on April 13, 2020, and gives the assurance that UVA will use 50% or more of the funds received under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds UVA will receive from the U.S. Department of Education designated specifically for distribution to students is a $5,858,355.
- As of December 31st, 2020, $5,858,355 million specifically designated for students has been distributed.
- The estimated total number of students at UVA eligible to participate in programs under section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under section 18004(a)(1) of the Cares Act is 11,273.
- The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act through December 31st is 3,226.
- The methods used to determine which and how much students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants are as follows:
- A currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student for term of disbursement
- Eligible for funding under a Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965
- The recommended total maximum award per student is $6,195 (largest Pell award). Preference for maximum awards will be given to students who have fully utilized existing aid resources. Exceptions may apply for extreme situations.
- Awards are prioritized based on student type and financial need level.
- Awards are being provided to students for the following types of expenditures:
- educational technology
- health care related to COVID-19
- child care incurred due to disruption to campus operations
- transportation costs
- other costs associated with disruption to campus operations
- The instructions, directions, or guidance provided by UVA to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants were sent via University email and published on University websites.